Our goal at Twin Construction is to provide our clients with the home of their dreams. After all is said and done, every homeowner has a responsibility to protect their biggest investment. I’m not talking about home security and a good neighborhood watch group, but the kind of protection that involves a caulk gun and new smoke alarms. Here is a guide to seasonal maintenance to protect your home sweet home…
- Clean your gutters.
- Check caulk around windows and doors. Look for cracks and re-caulk/seal as needed.
- Check weather stripping at exterior doors. Make sure doors are closing properly and sealing well.
- Check drainage around your home. Look to make sure foundation drains are open and flowing freely. Make sure no areas around the home are washing/eroding away. You want positive drainage away from the home’s foundation when possible.
- Inspect your roof from the ground. Look for any loose shingles, humps in roofing, broken shingles, etc.
- Check wooden decks and handrails for loose boards.
- Walk around the exterior of your home and inspect siding, paint, brick, etc.
- Replace HVAC filters (this should be done several times a year).
- Re-seal countertops.
- Re-seal marble flooring.
- Change batteries in smoke detectors.
- Check fire extinguisher. Every home should have at least one.
Hopefully, staying on top of these items each season will prevent surprises down the road!
By Brad Kelly, VP Operations